Monday 3 October 2016

Bringing it all up to date - with an eye to the future,

It took a while for me to gather myself together after the cow incident at the Lakeland 50, physically the bruises came and went and mentally I must admit to getting a lot of it out of my system by talking about it and finding out that I am not alone and that lots of people out there are not too keen on getting up close and personal with the Bovine Mafia.   One of the things that I found refreshing was how some people took the piss a bit in a friendly way, Lots of mooing and pretend matador stuff.  The saga continues though.......

Spent August mainly pottering about doing small walks , dog sitting, Guide Dog planning etc.,  Linda and I did a fantastic walk  near Wanlockhead in a place called Glenim, very quiet and peaceful.



It was a beautiful sunny day just right for a paddle and yes I did.  Lots of scope for more walking up here, super place for map and compass practice too.


September and instead of taking part in The Grand Tour of Skiddaw Kim and I pitched up to camp and help out wherever we were needed.  So after a stint of gatekeeping at the start we went off on a pootle with Sabine.  Parked at Latrigg car park and went off up and down the Glendaterra Valley (so that's another bit of the Lakeland 100 route ticked off - don't ask).
round Blencathra Centre and back to Latrigg for another chat with the crew there.  Sabine's partner Jakob was going that fast that we just missed getting her back to the finish to see him crossing the line.  



The day after Linda and I had an adventure day in Ayrshire visiting Auchinleck House and then Crossraugel Abbey.  Guess who feel asleep in the car on the way home - clue we are still alive so it wasn't the driver.  

My club's new Jog Scotland course started and I have committed to taking a friend along for the duration.  Love doing this, just getting folk into getting out and about doing stuff is such fun. 

Another stint of helping out, this time at The Cumbria Way Ultra, Kim Bev and I were at Keswick again, great place to be and so much fun.  Very rewarding too knowing you are helping someone with their individual challenge.  It was brilliant for me this year also because my club had a team entered into the relay.







So I managed to round of September very nicely with a weekend away with OH in Edinburgh attending something called The Presidents Cup, which is a invitation only Sombo competition. There were teams from Russia, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, Scotland and France. Lovely to be involved in something that OH is very keen on makes a change for him as he is normally trailing round assisting me with my goals.  We had a lovely hotel room in The Holiday Inn with two fantastic breakfasts and a dinner laid on for officials and the contestants on the Friday evening.  OH spent the day on the scoring table with a fantastic view of the action on the mats.



Thoroughly rested and restored now and as Autumn settles in and turns to Winter then my thoughts turn to next year, well actually they turned to next year quite a while ago if I'm honest.  Plans are afoot for some more adventures one definitely new and one is some unfinished business.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog Walk Sunday

Sunday is mostly always a group dog walking day (this if I'm not away marshaling somewhere).  These are usually quite leisurely affairs ...